Loading...

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cruising the blogosphere to shamelessly steal and promote ideas.

The source of this image is this webpage obliterating the idea that "America is a Christian nation" with citations from various founding documents (in this case, the Treaty of Tripoli). I found it through the blog: Atheist Revolution. While the spirit of the blog seems a bit militaristic in its opposition of religion, it has provided me with plenty of information in the few minutes I've looked at it.

Nota bene: Thomas Jefferson and John Adams are quoted expressing serious doubts and mistrust of Christianity.

I found another the blog's resources for those not yet non-believers well-stated. The page titled, "Doubting Your Faith?" doesn't push too hard, but also doesn't back down. I've had problems with sticking to an atheistic opinion when speaking to a friend with doubts, so much that I've even defended Christianity to someone before. Does that make sense?
In the "No" camp: Not believing in God can be a good thing. You may experience some discomfort at first, but ultimately, you'll start using your vote, money, and resources in a manner more conducive to helping people. You won't feel guilty or strive to hear and see things that aren't real. You won't be funding any more gosh darn pamphlets and, most importantly, you can sleep in on Sundays.
In the "Yes" camp: If you are relatively happy where you are, why should I disturb your complete world view? You only have one life to live and if you are not burning down abortion clinics or stomping on homosexuals, then why disturb you? You could lose friends, drive, family rapport, a sense of fulfillment, on and on and on.
In the "no" camp: You've got to stick to truth or truth in silence, even if comfortable lies are more convenient.

Thanks, Atheist Revolution.

Also! My favorite resource for switchers is here: de-conversion. Read it!

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the mention, even if I am somewhat surprised to be seen as "militaristic" in my attitude or approach. I prefer to think of myself as passionate about atheist civil rights. Of course, we atheists are a diverse lot, and there is plenty of room for different tactics.

    I think you are off to a good start here, and I look forward to seeing you develop your ideas.

    ReplyDelete