Loading...

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"That doesn't mean you're deep or anything"


I really like "When Harry Met Sally." It has interesting dialogue, a happy ending, and its just fun. I knew from the first time I saw it that Harry's intellectual posturing during the car ride to New York was crap. Now I know why I know it's crap. Here's the beginning of the movie; if you watch from 4:46 you see and hear the conversation about death.

Watching The Atheist Experience #670: Coming Out Atheist, a caller asked about the happiness and morality of atheists. They recommended The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell which I quickly google'd and discovered for free on Google. Almost the entire book can be read for free here. I'm not very far into it yet, but Russell has already debunked in Chapter 2 the idea that there is something better about feeling yourself enlightened or superior because you are unhappy. It is not your great wisdom that makes you unhappy, it's folly.

I earnestly look forward to reading more, as time and classes permit. Happy new school year!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen WHMS in a long time, but I do recall that, at the time, I considered it "Woody Allen Lite". It IS a good movie, but not as good as WA. If it's death you want, errr, contemplating death in movies, then WA is the existential king...and he's an atheist. Awesomeness.

    Kriss

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that movie too!
    Have you ever picked up "A History Of Western Philosophy" by Bertrand Russell? OK, granted, I have not read the entire thing - the hard copy version I have is 836 pages.
    But the preface and introductory pages were enough to keep me thinking for days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you! I'll definitely look into those since I'm ahead with schoolwork.(Excitement)

    Kris, I think the only Woody Allen film I've seen is "Annie Hall", which I watched mostly for Diane Keaton. Which one of his movies would you recommend?

    And Jane: Don't feel bad in the least. I just can't make myself get through "A Brief History of Time" though it is amazing information.

    ReplyDelete