Loading...

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ancient News.



The Daily Tar Heel had a comic of Lady Gaga wearing the meat dress and saying "Don't treat me like a piece of meat." I like that she did this because it is outrageous and interesting. I like that she makes me think. Her life (at least publicly) is performance art. I imagine that someone I know would say that the dress was disgusting, especially since he doesn't like Lady Gaga to start with. There are a multiplicity of ways to view another person's action or an event. Lady Gaga had intentions when she commissioned this dress. Some interpretations of the event may be closer to her intent, though that doesn't make them righter.


If someone were to examine the implications of Lady Gaga's meat dress on animal rights activism, historical precedents for this fashion-of-the-absurd, and Lady Gaga's personal history, they would come to a more full understanding of the causal factors leading to this event. If that is what you are looking for, then the afore-explained examination would be the solution.


Observation: There are a multiplicty of opinions about Lady Gaga's meat dress.


Question: Is any opinion more correct than another?


Answer: An opinion is not a fact. An opinion cannot be right or wrong. I can disagree with an opinion based on the assumption that the person bases their opinion in a false fact. For example, if a chick says that she hates Lady Gaga for wearing the meat dress I might assume that she wants animals to be respected and treated fairly and thinks that Lady Gaga has no concern for animals. I might, in response to my assumption, ask if she holds this mistaken belief and then quote an interview of Lady Gaga in which the performer stated: "Well, it is certainly no disrespect to anyone that is vegan or vegetarian. As you know, I am the most judgment-free human being on the earth," said Gaga. "However, it has many interpretations but for me this evening. If we don't stand up for what we believe in and if we don't fight for our rights, pretty soon we're going to have as much rights as the meat on our own bones. And, I am not a piece of meat."

No comments:

Post a Comment